Rodents in Orlando, Florida are some of the most frequent and also difficult pests around. These property invaders aren’t just a nuisance, either, as they are known for causing property damage and posing extensive health risks. To protect your home or business from the risks of rodents, this guide is here to help you learn how to prevent and remove any rodent infestation.
Rodents Around Orlando
The main rodents that get into area properties are mice and rats. In fact, mice and rats are some of the most common pests throughout the country. Along with rats and mice, there are also squirrels in the area that can show up occasionally.
Here is how to identify these species:
- Rats: Rats are larger than mice and can reach up to 15 inches, including their tails. The Norway rat is a brown-grey color and an excellent swimmer, while the roof rat is dark brown to black and great at climbing. Rats have short, scaly tails, and smaller eyes and ears in proportion to their bodies than mice.
- Mice: The common house mouse is brownish-grey with a cream-colored underbelly and is about five inches long, including the tail. They have fur-covered ears and long, thin tails.
- Squirrels: Usually brown-grey to reddish in color, squirrels have larger hind legs and short front arms that they use to eat things like nuts. They are easily recognizable by their bushy tails.
Why Are Rodents Attracted To Homes And Businesses
Rodents are well-accustomed to living alongside people, especially rats and mice. They use our buildings as shelter and thrive on the easy access to food and water within. Rats and mice have become quite dependent on humans throughout the centuries.
Because of this, it’s challenging to keep them out. They often spread from place to place, and they can fit through tiny holes. Mice can fit through a hole the size of a dime and rats only need about the size of a quarter. They can also chew through many materials to enlarge gaps, making it that much harder to prevent them from finding a way inside.
How Can You Remove Rodent Infestations In Orlando?
Once rodents get onto properties, they are extremely challenging to eliminate. They are great at hiding in small areas and find resources quickly. Products like traps and baits will only remove a few individuals but not the entire infestation.
Instead, let the experts at Green Flag Services help. We offer professional pest control services that are both reliable and affordable. And, as a locally owned and operated company, we care about our community and our customers.
Find out more about rodent control and get a free quote by giving us a call.
Five Ways To Prevent Future Rodent Infestations
The best way to keep rodents out throughout the year is with continual professional services, but there are also a few things you can do on your own to reduce the likelihood of rodent problems. These include:
- Covering garbage cans with lids.
- Making sure to clean kitchens often. This includes wiping up food and drink spills as soon as they happen.
- Reducing moisture around the property by using dehumidifiers and fixing any leaky faucets and pipes.
- Prevent rodents from getting inside by fixing holes in the walls and foundation using steel wool and wire mesh products.
- Placing chimney caps and installing wire mesh over vent openings.
For more advice or assistance with preventing rodents in Orlando, call Green Flag Services today.