Ants are so common in Orlando homes that people sometimes forget the risks of having an infestation. All ants that invade homes have the potential to contaminate food and surfaces with bacteria, and some ants can be even more problematic. Large infestations can be incredibly challenging to eliminate and usually require the assistance of an Orlando pest control company.
This blog will explain more about the types of ants that invade homes and the problems that come with them. We'll also review the most effective ant pest control method to eradicate an infestation and provide some tips the pros at Green Flag Services use to prevent ants from returning.
Types Of Ants That Routinely Invade Orlando Homes
At the very least, an ant infestation is annoying and, at worst, can endanger your health and the structure of your home. The following list details the most common types of ants that infest Orlando homes and the dangers they pose:
- Acrobat ants: Light brown to black ants that can strip insulation from electrical wires and will bite if they feel threatened.
- Argentine ants: Dark brown to black ants that you may see traveling up the side of your house in large, wide trails.
- Carpenter ants: Large ants that are most commonly black who nest within the wood of your home and cause structural damage over time.
- Ghost ants: Tiny ants with dark brown heads and pale yellow bodies that are primarily a nuisance.
- Pharaoh ants: Tiny pale yellow or reddish ants that have the potential to spread several diseases, including salmonellosis, staphylococcus, clostridium, and streptococcus.
If you have trouble identifying the type of ant in your home, it is a good idea to check with a company such as Green Flag Services that provides ant control in Orlando. Our team can help you identify the type you have and find the best way to eradicate them from your home.
An Ant Infestation Can Be Very Problematic For Homeowners
While some ants cause trouble inside your home, contaminating food, spreading disease, or simply being a nuisance, others can be just as problematic outside your home. Fire ants are common invaders of area lawns and are known for their aggressive behavior and painful stings. Carpenter ants endanger the structure of your home and surrounding elements. And once ants find a safe place to shelter in your home, many species will quickly grow their populations and quickly become hard to manage.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of An Ant Infestation
Many over-the-counter products claim to provide effective ant control for homeowners, but few live up to their promises. Store-bought baits and sprays may work in the short term, but they are not enough to deal with an infestation. These products can also be dangerous to use in the house, especially around children and pets.
The simplest, safest, and most effective ant control comes from teaming up with a professional company. Green Flag Services offers year-round pest control options to eliminate your infestation and to help prevent ants from returning. Contact us today to learn more about how our services can help you.
Five Simple Tips To Prevent Future Ant Infestations
After we eliminate your ant infestation, it is time to take action to prevent future infestations. Here are a few ant prevention tips we suggest homeowners use to keep ants from coming back:
- Fix any moisture issues around the house, including leaking pipes, faucets, water-damaged wood, and areas with high humidity.
- Seal any cracks or gaps on the house's exterior that may provide an entrance for ants.
- Keep eating areas clean and tidy, and avoid leaving dirty dishes in the sink.
- Remove any tree branches or vegetation close to the house.
- Store all of your food in pest-proof containers.
Proactive prevention can go a long way to stop ants, but the best type of ant control for your house comes when you combine your efforts with experienced professionals. Contact Green Flag Services today to learn more about how our ant control services can help eliminate these pests and keep your home and family safe.