Worldwide, there are over 12,000 species of ants. Lucky for us here in Orlando, there is only a handful we need to worry about. While most are considered nuisance pests, several species of ants can be damaging and destructive to our health and our property. That is why it is important to take the appropriate measures to prevent ants from infesting your Orlando home. And if you do find yourself dealing with an infestation, don’t try to take care of it yourself. Call the professionals at Green Flag Services. Otherwise, you could be left dealing with expensive structural damage to your home, or worse, damage to your (or your family’s) health.
Ants Common To The Orlando Area
All ants have segmented bodies, six legs, and two antennae. They vary in size and color depending on which species they belong to. They can grow from a fraction on an inch to over an inch long and can be black, brown, red, yellow, or a combination of all four colors.
There are several species of ants that you are most likely to encounter here in Orlando. These include pharaoh ants, fire ants, odorous house ants, and carpenter ants.
- Pharaoh ants are yellow ants that are attracted to sugary foods so you will often find them in your pantry. They usually build nests in wall voids, cabinet spaces, around insulation, and behind baseboards. They favor warm, moist locations. These ants are known for spreading diseases.
- Fire ants are an invasive species of ants that build their colonies outdoors. However, they will venture inside in search of food. They are characterized by their painful stings which cause a burning sensation, hence the name.
- Odorous house ants are small ants that, as their name would suggest, emit a foul-smelling odorous liquid when squished.
- Carpenter ant workers have strong mandibles that they use to build their nests inside of wood that is often rotting or water-damaged. These powerful jaws can also cause painful bites if the ant feels threatened. Carpenter ants are known to cause damage to the structural wood of properties along with furniture and other wood fixtures.
Nuisance Vs. Dangerous/Destructive Ants
Ants, like all pests, fall into one of two categories depending on the species. These categories are nuisance or dangerous/destructive. Nuisance ants do not cause damage to property nor do their stings/bites cause real damage to humans. Despite this, nuisance ants are still capable of spreading disease-causing germs and pathogens if they come into contact with your food, countertops, or dishes.
Dangerous and destructive ants are carpenter ants and fire ants. These are the ants than cause extremely painful stings or do damage to homes or structures, which can be quite costly. On top of that, these ants can also spread disease.
It’s safe to say, no matter which kind of ants you are dealing with, you do not want them infesting your home. That’s why you should know some general prevention techniques. These are:
- Store all food in tightly-sealed containers or in the refrigerator.
- Wipe up any spills from counter tops or floors immediately.
- Do not stack dirty dishes in the sink for long periods.
- Fix leaky pipes and fixtures.
- Install door sweeps on all exterior doors.
- Seal cracks in the foundation of your home.
- Install screens in all windows and exterior doors.
Ant Treatment & Control
No matter which species of ants you are dealing with, don’t waste your time and money trying to eliminate the infestation yourself. Call Augustine at Green Flag Services for total ant control for your home. We have the experience and expertise needed to eliminate the ant infestations around your property. Don’t let ants take over your home. Call us today.